ISO 50001 Certification
ISO 50001:2011, Energy management systems – Requirements with guidance for use, is a new voluntary International Standard that provides a framework for how organizations improve the way they manage energy.
Improved energy performance can provide rapid benefits for an organization by maximizing the use of its energy resources and energy-related assets, thus reducing both energy cost and consumption.
ISO 50001 is based on the management system model of continual improvement used for other well-known international standards such as ISO 9001 or ISO 14001. This makes it easier for organizations to integrate energy management into their overall efforts to improve quality and environmental management.
ISO 50001:2011 provides a framework of requirements for organizations to:
- Develop a policy for more efficient use of energy
- Fix targets and objectives to meet the policy
- Use data to better understand and make decisions about energy use
- Measure the results
- Review how well the policy works, and
- Continually improve energy management.
Substantial Financial Savings from Effective and Efficient Management of Energy:
- Builds on existing standards such as ISO 9001 & ISO 14001
- Applicable to all types and sizes of organizations
- Enables organizations to establish the systems and processes necessary to improve energy performance, including energy efficiency, use, consumption and intensity
- Reductions in energy cost, GHG emissions and other environmental impacts, through the systematic management of energy
- Demonstrate that the organization implemented sustainable energy management systems, completed a baseline of energy use, and committed to continuously improve their energy intensity
- ISO 50001 focuses on ongoing monitoring and improvement of energy, and not just a snapshot in time of a facility or operations.
- Pro-actively manage energy aspect of energy in everyday operations, instead of just focusing on lower energy cost from a single utility.
- Focuses on continual energy improvement supported by data, with measurable results related to energy efficiency
- Encourages operational changes that can will result in substantial cost savings
- Early gains from implementing ISO 50001 include significant reductions in power consumption, carbon emissions and energy costs, and benefits to manufacturing plants, communities and the environment.
- Common elements to ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, and based on Plan Do Check Act (PDCA) can be aligned or integrated with other management systems.
- Drives better use of energy-consuming assets
- Guides energy performance improvements and their reduction of greenhouse gas emissions
- Support transparency and awareness of energy resource management.
- Significant potential to save energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions worldwide
- ISO 50001 could eventually influence up to 60 percent of the world’s energy demand.
TRC and ISO 150001 Certification
- As a North American leader in registration services, TRC is among the first registrars to offer auditing, certification and training related to ISO 50001. Our auditors were some of the first to be trained to audit ISO 50001
- Contact us for more information on how ISO 50001 certification can help you manage energy efficiently, reduce energy costs and risks and minimize your impact on our environment.
In today’s business climate, companies have realized that ISO 50001:2011 energy management systems certification and registration can add real value to their organizations. Rather than just a simple checklist, the auditing process can help highlight weaknesses as well as strengths, which allows companies to continually improve their processes to stay competitive. TRC works with our clients to understand their business and unique practices to ensure our clients get the most out of the auditing process.
TRC also offers services and benefits that other registrars don’t, like:
- Dedicated Client Care Coordinators
A Client Care Coordinator is assigned to each client to provide a single point of contact.
- Vibrant Auditor Mentoring & Customer Satisfaction Process
The professionals delivering audits are key to our success. We obtain our Clients’ feedback on each auditor and work hard to incorporate our Client’s improvement suggestions.
Our Auditing Approach
Our experienced and highly-skilled auditors are enthusiastic about their work and come to your company with a fresh perspective. They take the time to listen and understand your business so they can add value throughout the auditing process. We work together as partners with our clients to ensure audits are as efficient as possible to minimize any disruption during the audit. During each audit, we strive to reveal observations that can add value through reduced costs, increased efficiency, and decreased time to market.